sirenskye asked: Hi! I know you're mainly a cosplay/sewing blog but I was wondering if you have a source for colour contact FAQs or something. I have prescription lenses, as well as astigmatism and I have a lot of trouble finding a site that sells lenses safe for me.
I’ve talked about this a few times before, but here is a quick rundown!
Astigmatism (as I’m sure you know :) ) is when your eyes are not quite round so most general contact lenses will not fit properly. Some people with astigmatism have perfectly normal vision and do not need to wear glasses/contacts on an everyday basis. This is why it is SO important to see an eye doctor before purchasing contacts on the internet!
The contacts that are made for people with astigmatism are called toric lenses. Torics usually are custom-made to order and are more expensive because of that. However, in the past few years, technology has improved and torics have decreased from around $200/pair to $50/pair (in general.) They are more limited in colors currently, but that is also improving since astigmatism has become more common in recent years. :)
Currently, the sites that I know that sell SAFE prescription, toric lenses that are PinkyParadise, HoneyColor, EyeCandys, and 99mmsfx. (Linked to the toric pages :) 99mmsfx is a LOT more expensive (and their prices are for ONE lens, not two) because you can get any of their lenses in custom sizes) There are also a lot of smaller sellers, but make sure to do a LOT of research on an unknown contact seller - unfortunately cheap/knockoff contacts exist and could hurt your eyes.
Remember (this is for EVERYONE who wants to wear contacts)!
- Never wear contacts that hurt your eyes! If they hurt, take them out - most stores will replace, and even if they don’t, your eyes are more important than having the right color.
- When you get your lenses, do NOT wear them straight out of the bottle they come in. Get them out, rinse them in solution, and soak them in solution for at least a few hours before putting them in your eyes.
- Never use water or anything else besides contact solution to wet your contacts! Your SPIT is actually better for contacts than water because it is saline!
- If a contact is ripped or scratched, TOSS IT.
- Bring some eye drops and your glasses/contact case with you on the con floor! If your eyes start to bother you too much - take out the contacts. All contacts restrict oxygen to your eyes and colored contacts do it that much more! Take care of your vision. :)
- Practice putting your contacts in BEFORE the day of the convention. I’ve been wearing contacts for over 10 years, so I can do it without thinking, but I’ve seen my friends take nearly an hour to get lenses in before! So practice if you’re new to contacts!
I know this is probably more than you asked for, but I like to cover all the basics when I can. :)
Good luck on your cosplay, sirenskye!
<3 L2S Cosplay
strikereureka01 asked: I really love your winter soldier arm tutorial and I was wondering if you could tell me where to buy the dry putty and pva glue? if possible can you give me links to where I can find the dry putty and pva glue?
Hi there! Just want to note the tutorial was written by a-twins and they’ll be the best resource.
Assuming you live in the US, PVA glue is Elmer’s glue (or rather, Elmer’s glue is a type of PVA glue). There are a wide variety of brands (we believe Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue is also a type of PVA glue) so you can find them in any craft store, home improvement store (like Lowe’s or Home Depot), or big box stores like Fred Meyer/Krogers or Target. Amazon also carries a variety of PVA glues if you want to go that route.
Another possible substitute is bondo, quite often used in pepakura builds. Downside of bondo is you HAVE to use it in a well-ventilated area while wearing an air respirator since that stuff is fairly toxic. Bill Doran (Punished Props) has a great video tutorial on bondo basics if you want to learn more about it.
Anonymous asked: Can you post a photo of how your Winter Soldier arm fits onto your own arm? THANK YOU!
Sorry! We can’t answer that; a-twins is the one who made the tutorial, you’ll have to ask them.
I am 100% happy with my costume and would not change a single thing!
— said NO COSPLAYER EVER (via ctgraphy)